About Parish

Palayamchetikullam was one of the sub-stations of Palayamkottai and then Shanthinager till the year 1999. It has been elevated as a parish on 30th may 1999 by most Rev. Fr. Iruthayajaj. Rev. Fr. P. Ghanapragasam was the first parish priest. In the beginning all the people at Chettikullam have been Hindus. The head man of the village has been always from a particular family. In the course of time many have objected to it. The problem arose. There became division among the people. In the Year 1913, some joined the church of south India. The problem of the headman became worse. At this time the brothers of the sacred heart began to go to the village. Some wanted to become catholic. When Fr. A.S. Durairaj was asst. in Palayamkottai parish. He too began to go to the village with bro. Savariappan SHJ, as there was British ruling, they could get the support of the government. People could get rid of fear. People occupied a prombokeland to build a church. The case was filed against Catholic. Catholic won the case, in the year 1942, some other were baptized by Fr. Albert Muthumalai with the help of the bro. Savariappan SHJ. Year after year people have been baptized. Catholic number increased. It was elevated as parish. The first parish was Fr. Ghanapragasam. During his tenure the people were well brought up in the catholic faith and spiritual life. New church was build and blessed on 4th Sep. 2003 by most Rev. A. Jude Paulraj, bishop of Palayamkottai. The feast is celebrated every year in the month of August.
Antony Raj S.

Rev. Fr. Antony Raj S.

Parish Priest
Patron of the Parish

Our lady of lourdes



Church Name

Our Lady of Lourdes Church

Established On


No of Catholics


Assistant Parish Priest


Succession of the Priests

1. Fr. P. Gnanapragasam P. 2. Fr. Moyeeson 3. Fr. Alphonse Arulanandam4. Fr. Jamels James, Fr. Arul Antony


R.C. Middle School (School)
Run by RC Diocese Of Palayamkottai (D), Thonithurai
Kindergarten (School)
Run by Franciscan Sisters of Presentation of Mary (FSPM), Chettikulam